Author Topic: The Town of Scar: Story!  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
    • Sam's RedBubble Account
The Town of Scar: Story!
« on: 12:11, Tuesday 19 Oct, 2010. »
So, it's Tithefest- the celebration of the end of Winter and the coming of Spring.
We're 10 year olds, and we've made our wishes, and hope that the Spring Sprites will deliver.
We're all quite excited, full of energy and enthusiasm.
The adults have finally shooed us out of the way to go and play football and get out from under their feet while they make the preparations for the feast.

Later, lunch is called, and after a short while (enough time for Hrotgar to try to get some mead!) the competition is announced:
The children are split into teams of four or five to find some items that match the descriptions given by Dallen.

Something for him to drink.
Something of value that comes from the Earth.
A bird's tail feather.
Something of value that comes from the Forest.

The prize is that the first successful team back will get their presents!
(Although we can kind of remember from last year that everyone gets something anyway.)
The rules are that the items must come from outside the village walls.

The groups are set, and ours is:
Hrotgar, the mead demon
Tarldren, the skidmark
Ylanna, the explorer
Varnas, the climber

Before they've much of a chance to decide what's going on, Hrotgar, waving a water skin, has shot off down the hill, towards the farm, we assume. (Whereupon he practices his heroic chicken wrestling!) After a bright idea from Ylanna to go to get some ore from the mine, the other three head up the hill in the opposite direction. On the way, Varnas is day-dreaming that they could get a tail feather from the Tarn eyrie, the home of the biggest birds in the land!

Walking up hill is slow and boring, so the three decide that they could take a shortcut up alongside the stream that comes down from the mountain. Ylanna and Varnas quite nimbly start to make their way up the steep and slippery rocks, but Tarldren finds it too slippery, and earns himself an impromptu bath. After a couple more attempts to follow, he elects to let them go to the mine while he looks for something of value from the forest around them.

In the meanwhile, has reached the farm, and clenching his not-yet-empty water skin, decides that while here, he could find a tail feather. Hrotgar earns himself a peck on the nose, having unsuccessfully pounced a disapproving hen. Having no luck finding any tail feathers in the straw strewn around on the floor of the barn, he starts eying up a new target.

Ylanna and Varnas reach a fork in the stream, where it has been split and redirected by the townsmen so that half leads across a wooden viaduct towards the mine, and the other half goes down the mountain (where they just climbed up from). Ylanna has an idea to speed things up, and promptly jumps into the wooden-clad water chute, and enjoys an exciting if very cold and wet ride down to the miner's mill. Being soaking wet in mid-winter doesn't appeal to Varnas, and despite the screams of laughter swiftly flowing away from her, elects to continue her own mission- to get a Tarn feather!

Tarldren wanders from the path into the woods, wondering if the pine cones on the forest floor could be considered a thing of value. He comes across some old stonework, overgrown and abandoned. Further exploration reveals what could be a well, boarded up with old wooden planks. He pulls at them, and manages to get one slightly loose, making a small gap.

Hrotgar has stalked another chicken, and knows it's beady eye is watching him. However, he summons all his strength and heroically leaps upon the bird, but it moves, and all he manages to catch is a handful of it's tail. The hen's beak flies up and pecks him sharply on the ear before escaping- but in his clutched fingers he holds success: one of the chicken's tail feathers. Confident, he heads outside to look for something else, and ignores the small smudge blood on his neck.

Ylanna whooshes down the log paneled water-slide, and despite the bumps and splashes, is having a fantastic time! Up ahead is a steep curve to the left as the channel changes direction to be funneled into the upcoming mine buildings, and to her dismay is thrown by the force out of the slide, and off onto a heap of dirt, rocks, and shingle. Scratched and bruised, but mostly unharmed, she scrambles down the side of the heap, and off to look for the mineral ore.

Hrotgar has found a stream on the other side of the mountain, but a group of the other children are there. "Go away, this is our stream!" they shout, and throw the small river pebbles in his direction. He turns away, and heads off. Perhaps the others have had more luck.

Varnas has followed the stream all the way up- until finding it springing from a worn outcrop in the rock. Looking upwards she sees that the rocky mountain climb has become now a steep cliff, almost directly vertical. A quick glance in either direction shows that it's no easier on the other sides. Having come this far, she doesn't want to give up now, and begins to climb the sheer rock face...but before too long has run out of reachable handholds to get any higher. If only she were taller. Looking down reminds her that she's got quite far, and somehow the ledges she used to get up don't seem to be there anymore. With a defeated sigh, she takes a breath and yells:
"HELP!"

Tarldren is just wondering where this dark and ivy covered hole might lead when he hears a faint cry on the wind. Someone is calling for help, from somewhere above him...
~ Nynia ~ Maggie ~ Amara ~ Rachel ~ Mizera ~ Sarah ~ Rynne ~ Varnas ~ Blue CLO ~ Xyx ~
~ "Joe" ~ Chaplain ~ Siânna ~ Hope ~ Syuzannah ~ Nareen ~ Hilde ~ Raethwyn ~ Gavin ~
~ Lahni ~ Grayson ~ Bites-The-Breeze ~ Taylor ~ Anastasia ~ Jakari ~ Lu'riel ~ Akhet ~ Richie ~

Offline Rodge

• Huzzah!
Re: The Town of Scar: Story!
« Reply #1 on: 20:19, Tuesday 19 Oct, 2010. »
I really enjoyed the first session/introduction of this. The world seems really interesting and the system has some very interesting ideas to it. I can honestly say I can't wait until next monday for the continuation!  :)
Hrotgar Wolfbane ~ Baron Magnus ~ 'Fonz' - Murdoch ~ Nix'Un ~ Globas Ferru ~ Colonel the Lord Spencer ~ Kim Jong Ping-Pong ~ Riker ~ Saul ~ Mike Sorenson ~ Svard ~ Jeff

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
« Reply #2 on: 21:13, Tuesday 19 Oct, 2010. »
Good to hear- feel free to elaborate on anything your character was doing / thinking, or indeed if you have anything else to add.
I think I did pretty well at remembering most of what happened, but sometimes I don't get the chance to write it up before I forget!
:)
~ Nynia ~ Maggie ~ Amara ~ Rachel ~ Mizera ~ Sarah ~ Rynne ~ Varnas ~ Blue CLO ~ Xyx ~
~ "Joe" ~ Chaplain ~ Siânna ~ Hope ~ Syuzannah ~ Nareen ~ Hilde ~ Raethwyn ~ Gavin ~
~ Lahni ~ Grayson ~ Bites-The-Breeze ~ Taylor ~ Anastasia ~ Jakari ~ Lu'riel ~ Akhet ~ Richie ~

Offline Rodge

• Huzzah!
« Reply #3 on: 21:21, Tuesday 19 Oct, 2010. »
Other than missing my shenanigans with the mead and numerous heroic poses, I think you just about covered everything very concisely.
Hrotgar Wolfbane ~ Baron Magnus ~ 'Fonz' - Murdoch ~ Nix'Un ~ Globas Ferru ~ Colonel the Lord Spencer ~ Kim Jong Ping-Pong ~ Riker ~ Saul ~ Mike Sorenson ~ Svard ~ Jeff

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
« Reply #4 on: 21:33, Tuesday 19 Oct, 2010. »
I'd planned to keep it short...and then kept remembering things... :D

Offline Rodge

• Huzzah!
« Reply #5 on: 21:37, Tuesday 19 Oct, 2010. »
Detailed is good!

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
« Reply #6 on: 21:38, Tuesday 19 Oct, 2010. »
Volunteering for next week? :P

Offline Rodge

• Huzzah!
« Reply #7 on: 21:54, Tuesday 19 Oct, 2010. »
I'm afraid my talents lay in numbers not writing. lol

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
« Reply #8 on: 12:09, Tuesday 26 Oct, 2010. »
Varnas is clinging to the cliff face, some distance from the ground. It feels like she's been here for ages.
Suddenly a shadow passes, and with a swoosh of air something grabs her, and she's no longer stuck to the mountainside, but flying through the air. Surprise turns to excitement as she realises that she's not falling down, but is being carried upwards- gripped her by the cloak and her belt.
With the flapping of huge feathered wings and a voice on the wind of: "Are you alright down there?" they swoop away from the rocks, and down towards the fields below.
"Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhh! Wooooooooooooooo!"

Varnas can see some other children running around in the fields below- some of them are fighting.
Then the ground starts coming up awfully fast, and then surprisingly gently, she is dropped in the meadow grass.
The Tarn lands nearby, just as gently, and it's rider jumps off. "You're safe now." he says.
Varnas hugs him. (Or his legs at least. He's tall.)
He laughs- "So, how did you like flying?"
"It was brilliant! Can we do it again?"
He introduces himself as Hanslef, and when Varnas explains why he found her halfway up the mountain, he laughs again, and smiles knowingly.
"I did the same thing myself at your age, but I wasn't so lucky- I fell off and hit my head. Anyway, that's why the Elders told me to keep an eye on things- and to give this to the first person who was looking for it."
Varnas accepts the large Tarn tail feather from him reverently.

(TBC)

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
« Reply #9 on: 10:26, Tuesday 16 Nov, 2010. »
Argh, back dated! X.x

Offline Rodge

• Huzzah!
« Reply #10 on: 20:57, Wednesday 17 Nov, 2010. »
Yea, we're a wee bit behind lol

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
« Reply #11 on: 13:35, Monday 22 Nov, 2010. »
Hey, I updated something... :p

Right then, lets see...

Varnas...cliff...Tarn rescue...ah yes...

Hanslef promises to take her flying again tomorrow- and then breaks up the fighting between the kids.
Which happens to include Hrotgar- and we are introduced to Gretir and Jan.
Gretir being the one who was helping Hrotgar...and Jan being one of the stone-throwers!
Ylanna pops up out of nowhere, looking soaked but strangely proud of herself- she's been successful up at the mine, and has found something shiny.
As there has been some shuffling of groups, it is decided the 6 of us should work together...wait...where's Tarldren?

The 5 children run off to where he was last seen, under the watchful eye of Hanslef- who then leaves on his Tarn to keep watch on the other contestants.
Although there is some complaint about Jan being allowed to join the group, it doesn't last long.
Arriving at the forest road, near the stream that Varnas and Ylanna climbed up, they call for Tarldren.
There is no reply.
Hrotgar fills the waterskin from the stream.
Ylanna finds some markings on the ground, and attempts to track him into the woods.
The others follow.

Tarldren has climbed down the stone well-hole. The ladder has rotted away, so he drops down the last few feet into the mud with a satisfying splat. His hat falls in the mud.
As it is pitch black down here but for the light coming from the hole above, he searches around in the darkness with his hands out.
He finds 3 tunnels leading out of the central chamber, and reasons that one leads towards the town, one towards the mountain, and one...away.
Choosing the third of the dark doorways, he follows the tunnel. It seems to slope gently downhill.
It occurs to him that this'd be a great mudslide, and that it'd be faster than wading through the sludge.
Sliding mostly successfully for a short distance, he hears a noise echoing from behind him.

The children, calling out for Tarldren, and following Ylanna, reach a strange patch of the woodland-
There seems to be what was once a building of sorts here, there are the ruins of walls hidden amongst the undergrowth.
In the center, with some recent muddy footprints, a black hole- an old well, covered in ivy and boarded up.
Or at least, it was boarded up, but some of the planks have been pried away.
They shout their friend's name down the hole- but forget to listen for a reply.

Hearing his name being called, Tarldren shouts back a bit, and then walks back on himself.
Promising great fun on a mudslide, Jan decides to climb down to see- despite the lack of an exit plan.
Hrotgar and Gretir are looking around for something of value from the forest.
Ylanna and Varnas are looking for a way to get the two boys out again, until a friendly dog arrives- which they fuss.
Except Gretir, who stays on the other side of the hole from it, eyeing it warily.

Jan drops into the mud at the bottom of the hole, and runs towards the sound of Tarldren's voice.
The both enjoy a swift slide down the tunnel, Tarldren is slightly jealous that Jan seems to have a better technique, as he shoots further down the tunnel.
A draft reaches them, and they get the feeling the tunnel-path has opened up somewhat.
While pondering this, there is a sudden sound of something big moving swiftly, and Jan is suddenly whisked up into the air by an unseen beast. He grabs whatever is closest to hand, and clings on for dear life.
Yelling, screaming and roaring ensues.
Tarldren feels a pang of guilt, and some panic- but stays nearby.

On hearing the sudden roar and the general panic from below, Varnas has had enough-
She is going to run to the village for help- Ylanna is coming with her- so does the dog.
Hrotgar and Gretir yell down the hole for the other two boys to come back, but don't know if they've been heard.

Sprinting down the road to the town, Varnas and Ylanna run into Josef and Arnol, two of the town's warriors.
Breathlessly they quickly try to explain what's happening:
"There's a DRAGON in the WOODS and the BOYS are in TROUBLE down a HOLE in a RUIN!"
"HELP! The BOYS have gone down a HOLE in the WOODS in a RUIN and there's a MONSTER!"
The two adults, taking the girls at their word, hurry to help.
Ylanna leads them back to the boys in the woods, whilst Varnas goes to get some rope from the smith, to get them out of the hole.
She pants a please and thank you without stopping, and runs off back out of the town with the rope.
The smith raises an eyebrow, and shrugs. "Tithesfest." he murmurs.

Arnol the Hunter, and Josef the Archer arrive at the ruined well, they find Hrotgar and Gretir still shouting down the hole.
Suddenly they are beset by Forest Gremlins!
Arnol charges off after a group of them and disappears into the forest.
Josef starts shooting the little green creatures.
The boys try to help, one with a stick, and one with a sword, passed by Josef.
Ylanna throws some stones at the Gremlins.

Jan is thrown clear of whatever he was holding on to, and lands on the path ledge, not far from Tarldren.
The two of them race back up the slippery tunnel, away from whatever dark terror they've discovered.
There is some roaring and crashing from behind them, but fortunately it seems whatever it is, is too big to fit along the tunnel behind them.
They get back to the central chamber and call up for help.

Varnas finds her friends are being attacked by Forest Gremlins, and that Jan and Tarldren are still in the hole.
She joins Ylanna in throwing rocks at the Gremlins, but it doesn't help much, there's too many of them.
Josef tells the children that they'd best get their friends out before he runs out of arrows and they are overwhelmed by the Gremlins.
They tie up the rope to a nearby tree, and throw the end down into the darkness.
Tarldren insists that Jan go up first, so he ties the rope to himself and with some difficulty they pull him out.
He is wet, muddy and smells awful, but is otherwise unhurt.

Josef has run out of arrows, and is fighting off the Gremlins by hand- he is starting to get overrun.
Gretir is still swinging the sword around, but it is far too big for him to use it very well.

The rope is dropped back down, and a very muddy Tarldren is gratefully pulled out too.
With both the boys free from the well, Josef throws some of the Gremlins off of him, and yells to the kids to get out of here.
They scrabble up the slope to the road, but they slip- and one of the little green menaces rides on Tarldren's back.
He isn't the only one having trouble.
Attempting another run up the slope, both Jan and Tarldren, lagging slightly from their underground ordeal, find their ankles grasped by the short trollkin critters.
Fortunately it seems being covered in mud has it's uses, and their grips slip off, letting the boys run away.
Everyone makes it to the road, and the Gremlins do not give much chase.

Returning to the town mostly unharmed, they are met by Dallen, the man who set the challenge.
Congratulating the team for returning safely, he asks them to present what they have discovered.
Something for him to drink.
Something of value that comes from the Earth.
A bird's tail feather.
Something of value that comes from the Forest.

Hrotgar presents him with the waterskin, filled with fresh water from the stream.
Ylanna pulls her hand from her pocket, and shows the sparkling stone from the mine.
Varnas shows him the Tarn tail feather.
Hrotgar also hands him the leather bag with the carvings on from the ruin in the forest.

There is also talk of lessons learned and friendships made, and they are awarded the prizes of the winning team.
Ylanna is given a well crafted shortbow.
Hrotgar is also given a matching shortbow.
The two of them exchange curious glances. They will both be trained to shoot by Josef (and later Ylanna by Arnol?)
Tarldren is given <a book?> and will be taken on by Zulir as his apprentice.
Jan is given <a different book?> and will be taken into the temple as an initiate.
Varnas is given a new cloak, and will be taken up the mountain to see if the Tarn will accept her as a trainee rider.
And lastly, Gretir is given a magic toy boat. (Not sure about apprenticeship?)
« Last Edit: 18:51, Monday 22 Nov, 2010. by Samantha »

Offline Rodge

• Huzzah!
« Reply #12 on: 17:37, Monday 22 Nov, 2010. »
"Gretir (?) hands him the leather bag with the carvings on from the ruin in the forest."

It was me that found it :P

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
« Reply #13 on: 18:50, Monday 22 Nov, 2010. »
Hence the question mark. Thank you.

Offline Rodge

• Huzzah!
« Reply #14 on: 00:22, Thursday 16 Dec, 2010. »
After the villiage was attacked and some precious tablets stolen the party sets off in pursuit of some of them following some tracks. Whilst in the forest all the men in the group suddenly fall asleep and have awesome dreams about nekkid ladies (giggity). After waking up and working out that they'd been walking for a long time and people are tired the party sets up camp.

Vanus sets off on her tarn and gets into some air-to-air combat and takes out the bad guy and his mushroom parachute. Upon seeing the crate it was carrying fall down to the mire and darkness falling vanus heads back to the group. Meanwhile Tarldrin had started a rather potent fire, Grettir burnt his boot, and Hrotgar collected food for the party. Vanus arrives back with the group and they all chow down on mushrooms.

The group take it turns on watch whilst the rest sleep the first 2 watches went without incident other than Jan falling in love with a seemingly interested Ylana. However on the 3rd watch a hill troll arrives and attacks! Grettir charges at it in slow motion while Tarldrin summons an iron sword in his path after Vanus points out you need iron to kill it. Grettir however falls over said sword and then gets smacked about by the troll. A rather impressive archery display from Hrotgar and Ylana sees the troll get an arrow in each eye, one in the throat and one in the mouth. To the groups horror the troll simply plucks out the arrows and regenerates the damage done. Grettir finally breaks out of slow motion and drops the troll with a slash of the newly aquired sword and blinds it in one eye. Tardrin then summoned some iron arrows which Ylana dishes out between herself, Hrotgar and Vanus and the archers begin shooting the troll and Hrotgar wedges an arrow through it's jaw. The troll then swats aside several more arrows one of which was bound for its remaining eye. Being rather pissed the troll swings repeatedly at hrotgar with no luck until final he grabbed him and through him accross the camp knocking him out cold. Grettir then puts the troll down with a vicious slash from the sword, which was quite the achievement after being shot in the shoulder by Ylana!

TBC...