Author Topic: Club News  (Read 10634 times)

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
    • Sam's RedBubble Account
Re: Club News
« Reply #15 on: 08:18, Wednesday 06 Apr, 2011. »
Don't worry, apparently Beardy Sam thinks we should to move to the Fighters anyway!
~ Nynia ~ Maggie ~ Amara ~ Rachel ~ Mizera ~ Sarah ~ Rynne ~ Varnas ~ Blue CLO ~ Xyx ~
~ "Joe" ~ Chaplain ~ Siânna ~ Hope ~ Syuzannah ~ Nareen ~ Hilde ~ Raethwyn ~ Gavin ~
~ Lahni ~ Grayson ~ Bites-The-Breeze ~ Taylor ~ Anastasia ~ Jakari ~ Lu'riel ~ Akhet ~ Richie ~

Offline A Guy

• Damnation Point!
« Reply #16 on: 09:34, Wednesday 06 Apr, 2011. »
Fighters is cool. Though quite an expensive place these days isn't it?  Also parking for those that drive can be bad, and it's out of the way.
Victorian Thermo-Electric-Mechanical-Nuclear-Sonic Ingenious Engineer OBE. ~ Vatican Exorcist, a rabid fanatic who's been blessed by 'God', FOR THE GREATER GOOD!!!!!!~

Damnation points like cookies only better.

Spartan264

« Reply #17 on: 10:12, Wednesday 06 Apr, 2011. »
For any of the pubs in the area of The goat, Black lion, Hare & hounds, Beehive, etc there are at least two close parking lots. Not sure on what hours they charge but probably similar to the arena. Just FYI.

Offline A Guy

• Damnation Point!
« Reply #18 on: 10:30, Wednesday 06 Apr, 2011. »
Thoughts on the pubs in that area from what I remember of the layouts etc.

White Hart Tap: Probably a little small.

Hare and Hounds: Space but nice little nook like at Oscars.

White Lion: Small but has good sized nooks with that fun view screen through into each other.

Garibaldi: Not been in years and can't remember.

Goat:  Not bad, but is an eating pub so might not like the tables being used at the back.

White Hart Hotel: Not really been in but probably not good.

Beehive:  Not been in in a while but has a lot of booths so can't group tables together as easily.

Thoughts?
Victorian Thermo-Electric-Mechanical-Nuclear-Sonic Ingenious Engineer OBE. ~ Vatican Exorcist, a rabid fanatic who's been blessed by 'God', FOR THE GREATER GOOD!!!!!!~

Spartan264

« Reply #19 on: 11:58, Wednesday 06 Apr, 2011. »
Ah yes, the viewscreen with the weird reality tv show that took forever to get going then was boring as hell ;). Also, slopey floor is fun.

Offline Archalofax

• I have a beard. I am Pete.
    • Garblag Games
« Reply #20 on: 13:44, Wednesday 06 Apr, 2011. »
One possibility is the White Hart Hotel. They have a function room - which would easily accomodate us - on the first floor.

I have used it before for wargaming (for free) - but that was when a friend knew a guy who worked there.

The room is above the archway entrance through to their car park.

Can have drinks up there - also last time they kept bringing us plates of nachos etc. Might solve the food problem at the same time?

Might be worth some investigation....

Offline Archalofax

• I have a beard. I am Pete.
    • Garblag Games
« Reply #21 on: 12:37, Sunday 10 Apr, 2011. »
I have another possibile option.

There is very real talk of setting up a St Albans Gaming Society a the New Greens Social Club. This started around the idea of wargamers, but having spoken with Paul Cross who is leading the charge he is eager to extend this to all gamers (board,card,roleplay & war). We have been discussing the idea of making one massive club on a monday night.

The hall at the Social Club is large enough to accomodate us and more. There are tables and storage areas. There is a bar next door to the hall and a shop across the street. Beer and snacks from the bar are allowed in the hall as are shop bought or home cooked delicacies.

The Social Club requires hall users to be members. This costs the princely sum of £5 a year. Paul is proposing that St Albans Gaming Society membership costs a little more for the year - to cover the social club costs and allow a bit extra for a kitty for the club in case storage or celebrations require some cash (eg xmas special). The plus side would be that we'd also be able to go in the Social Club whenever and could arrange to use the hall on some sundays if we wanted to run special long events or 'one-8-hour-session-a-month' games.

This might be worth thinking about. Either way Paul is gonna come down to the club on monday to discuss it with everyone and answer any questions we may have. Then we can all have a chat about it.

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
    • Sam's RedBubble Account
« Reply #22 on: 00:28, Tuesday 12 Apr, 2011. »
An interesting proposition- is there a map for the location of this place?
Also parking?

In the meantime, the two lovely new chaps at The Swan Oscar's are offering us a few sandwiches next week.
These I understand will be reasonably plain and simple, made by his own fair hands, and free of charge.
We believe this is a Thank You gesture for bearing with them while they settle in.
:)
~ Nynia ~ Maggie ~ Amara ~ Rachel ~ Mizera ~ Sarah ~ Rynne ~ Varnas ~ Blue CLO ~ Xyx ~
~ "Joe" ~ Chaplain ~ Siânna ~ Hope ~ Syuzannah ~ Nareen ~ Hilde ~ Raethwyn ~ Gavin ~
~ Lahni ~ Grayson ~ Bites-The-Breeze ~ Taylor ~ Anastasia ~ Jakari ~ Lu'riel ~ Akhet ~ Richie ~

Offline A Guy

• Damnation Point!
« Reply #24 on: 08:47, Tuesday 12 Apr, 2011. »
Try poking Felicity about the parking in that area as she lives in that area.

As for sandwiches, sounds good to me :)
« Last Edit: 08:52, Tuesday 12 Apr, 2011. by A Guy »

Offline Paul

• aka Nigel
« Reply #25 on: 17:30, Tuesday 12 Apr, 2011. »
The social club idea sounds pretty good (parking permitting of course). Certainly something worth looking into further.

Offline Rodge

• Huzzah!
« Reply #26 on: 21:08, Tuesday 12 Apr, 2011. »
I've spoken to him about the wargames side of it before when he came into the games workshop when I was geeking it up a notch and spoke to me about it. It seems a good idea however new greens is less central than where we are currently and the new owners seem quite happy to have us there. If the new owners are happy for us to be there will we still be looking at moving?
Hrotgar Wolfbane ~ Baron Magnus ~ 'Fonz' - Murdoch ~ Nix'Un ~ Globas Ferru ~ Colonel the Lord Spencer ~ Kim Jong Ping-Pong ~ Riker ~ Saul ~ Mike Sorenson ~ Svard ~ Jeff

Offline A Guy

• Damnation Point!
« Reply #27 on: 22:11, Tuesday 12 Apr, 2011. »
I figured it was just a back up plan in case things went South and Oscars died a wine bar or closed death.

Me I'm looking forward to the sandwiches next week.  But that's just cause I'm a sucker for free food.

Offline sam_i

• Hindsight is always 2D20...
« Reply #28 on: 23:38, Sunday 17 Apr, 2011. »
I think in principle the social club idea sounds quite good, but as things seem to peacefully chugging along with the new owner guy at the moment i don't think it's *urgent* we find a new home.  If Paul sorts something out then i think it might be worth looking into, maybe asking if we could do a week down there as a test run before we sign up to check parking/size/layout does work for us?
There is also that quite a few people (as luck would have it mostly ones that don't frequent this forum) that rely on buses to get in to town so we need to check the bus routes are acceptable too, as to my grasp of geography that is a bit off the beaten track.....
Also we'd need to find out if potential new players could be signed in etc for a time so we weren't asking people for cash the second they meet us as i think that'd be a bit off putting.
Mostly thinking out loud "stuff we need to check" there than raising major objections.  Basically i am risk-adverse when it comes to the roleplaying club, as ideas like this have tended to go south in the past and Oscars is a) easy and b) free but it's certainly worth monitoring the situation i think....

Offline Gnarl

• Adam
« Reply #29 on: 22:09, Sunday 10 Jul, 2011. »
Hullo there! The pub is changing hands again! Yay! No wait, Nay! Also, I totally meant to post this earlier in the week!

Exclamations aside, the change is acomin' tomorrow (11/07/2011). Which is why I meant to post this earlier this week. Sorry. The new owner, who's name might be John or Bill or something else (my memory is not so good) is apparently fine with the idea of us, and plans to stay open, according to the outgoing gentleman. So high hopes here. We may keep the assistant manager and friends also. They were not sure.

However, as to the immediate future i.e. tomorrow, when the change-over is occurring we'll have to see whether the pub manages opening. If not, I recommend decamping to the Garabaldi, for want of a better option. Or peoples houses etc., for the evening. Which could of course be organised at said other pub.

Good luck out there.