Author Topic: Website Stuff & Other Horrible Posts  (Read 5066 times)

Offline Todd

Website Stuff & Other Horrible Posts
« on: 10:46, Friday 26 Aug, 2011. »
Hey everyone!

The forums are currently hosted on my old shared hosting plan.  Because it was paid annually, it hasn't been costing me anything extra.  However, in October my yearly subscription expires and I don't actually use this hosting for anything else.  As such, I will be moving these boards to my new server.

What This Means
  • At some point in September, there will be a few hours of downtime while I move everything.
  • We won't lose any content and your login will continue to work.
  • The address will most likely change to stalbans.talnivarr.eu temporarily.
  • It may take up to 48 hours for the .co.uk domain to propagate to the new server.

It'll most likely be on a weekend, but I'm not sure when exactly.  Some time between now and the end of September.  When I do it, I'll replace the site with a simple page explaining what is happening.  If there are any specific days that would be bad, let me know and I can avoid them.

At some point I also need to upgrade the forum software here.  But that isn't urgent and probably won't happen at the same time.

For anyone who cares, the new server is a VPS that I already use for our WoW forums and voice server.  It's a Win 2008 R2 x64 box with 2GB dedicated RAM, 60GB storage and 2TB monthly bandwidth, running IIS7 and MySQL.  In short, it's faster and more reliable and it gives me a lot more flexibility on the backend.

And on a related topic, we have a lot more resources than we'll ever use on the new server so I'm happy to help with hosting forums or similar if anyone has a requirement :) .

I also do weddings.
« Last Edit: 14:32, Wednesday 22 Feb, 2012. by Todd »

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
    • Sam's RedBubble Account
Re: Site Downtime Incoming
« Reply #1 on: 18:54, Saturday 27 Aug, 2011. »
Todd is made of win.
~ Nynia ~ Maggie ~ Amara ~ Rachel ~ Mizera ~ Sarah ~ Rynne ~ Varnas ~ Blue CLO ~ Xyx ~
~ "Joe" ~ Chaplain ~ Siânna ~ Hope ~ Syuzannah ~ Nareen ~ Hilde ~ Raethwyn ~ Gavin ~
~ Lahni ~ Grayson ~ Bites-The-Breeze ~ Taylor ~ Anastasia ~ Jakari ~ Lu'riel ~ Akhet ~ Richie ~

Offline Todd

« Reply #2 on: 18:17, Monday 29 Aug, 2011. »
Thought I'd get this done today but my DNS control panel is down, which is odd since the actual server is responding fine.  I reverted everything for now (sigh) but it means about 75% of it is in place and ready.  So it should be pretty quick once I get the DNS stuff resolved.  That's a hilarious pun by the way.

Offline Todd

« Reply #3 on: 23:46, Tuesday 30 Aug, 2011. »
Sorry, SQL lost a bunch of posts in the move which I only just noticed.  I did it again and I think it is all okay now (and nobody had posted except me so nothing lost).

Also fixed the issue with £ and some other characters not showing up correctly.

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
« Reply #4 on: 12:03, Sunday 04 Sep, 2011. »
:thumbsup:
~ Nynia ~ Maggie ~ Amara ~ Rachel ~ Mizera ~ Sarah ~ Rynne ~ Varnas ~ Blue CLO ~ Xyx ~
~ "Joe" ~ Chaplain ~ Siânna ~ Hope ~ Syuzannah ~ Nareen ~ Hilde ~ Raethwyn ~ Gavin ~
~ Lahni ~ Grayson ~ Bites-The-Breeze ~ Taylor ~ Anastasia ~ Jakari ~ Lu'riel ~ Akhet ~ Richie ~

Offline splat.toad

« Reply #5 on: 10:32, Wednesday 07 Sep, 2011. »
question - i may have misunderstood - is the forum now the .eu address?
Nocker~Table-Riding Barbarian~Comedy Wraith~Pyro Secret Agent Granny~Liquid Blue Alien Robot~'Trustworthy' Gunslinger~Biker Genius~Dragon Fisher~Magician's Assistant~Doctor/Thief~Warrior Mouse~Intrepid/Naïve Egyptologist~Pilot Space Cat~Goblin~Demon~Maverick cop~Jedi Adept~Ships Captain~Not A Mage

Offline Nick G

• Psy?
« Reply #6 on: 14:47, Wednesday 07 Sep, 2011. »
Yeah, for the time being at least, will be back to .co.uk once the old web address propogates where these forums are now being hosted.
~ Troubleshooter ~ Ghost of Irwin Stevens ~ Tremere Fire Mage ~ Brute/Dragon ~ Mandalorian Bounty Hunter ~ Demonic Demolitions Expert ~ Weather Mage ~ Krogan Battlemaster ~ Barabel Jedi Master ~ Unlucky Caveman ~ Human Sorceror ~ Bat-Flagellant ~ Tanith Sniper ~ Occult Vampire

Offline Todd

« Reply #7 on: 15:42, Wednesday 07 Sep, 2011. »
Simple version:
At the moment you need to use the .eu address.  After some amount of time yet to be determined, the .co.uk address will be back.  From then on, both will work.

Techie version:
I buy the domains from 1and1, and I had them set up to use the nameservers of the free DNS solution which is included with my VPS.  The DNS side of that was running fine, but the control panel has been inaccessible for over a week, meaning I wasn't able to add a new domain and point it at my server.  I'm going to try to claim to some free credit for that, even though it's a free addon, because it was a huge inconvenience for me.  As a solution, I tried switching the domains back to using 1and1s own nameservers, but they don't have enough options for me to do what I need to do (multipe A records).  I eventually got the original control panel working and in theory everything should be propagating now, though I'm not convinced it is working properly.  One issues I have is that my DNS server at work is in Seattle and it seems to use more caching that it really should, so it tends to pick these things up a bit slowly.  Anyway, I can probably claim a free month of VPS hosting thanks to the issues which saves me ~£18 so it's not all bad :) .
« Last Edit: 17:24, Thursday 08 Sep, 2011. by Todd »

Offline Todd

« Reply #8 on: 22:53, Thursday 08 Sep, 2011. »
The .co.uk domain seems to have propagated now.  I'll probably swap the URL back on the Saturday.  The .eu address will also continue to work (forever).

Offline Todd

« Reply #9 on: 09:53, Monday 12 Sep, 2011. »
Site is now back on stalbans.talnivarr.co.uk and cookies were wiped so you'll be logged out on your next visit.  Or I guess that would be this visit since you are already here and reading this.

The .eu address will still work but if you use that one you will always show as logged out because you don't (and can't) have a cookie for that domain.  I recommend you switch your bookmarks back but if you do come on via .eu you can just click any link on the page and it'll log you back in (assuming you are logged in).

Sorry, bit confusing.  Just pretend the site is like it was a month ago and everything should be fine :D .

Summary of this post:

« Last Edit: 10:02, Monday 12 Sep, 2011. by Todd »

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
« Reply #10 on: 19:00, Monday 12 Sep, 2011. »
Just pretend the site is like it was a month ago and everything should be fine :D .

That's good enough for me!
;)

Offline Todd

« Reply #11 on: 21:32, Tuesday 04 Oct, 2011. »
My host is upgrading their DNS (magical thing that turns website addresses into actual computer addresses) on Monday, there might be ~30mins of downtime.

Offline Todd

« Reply #12 on: 10:14, Friday 04 Nov, 2011. »
Server crashed overnight, if anyone saw errors this morning.  Should be okay now.

Offline Todd

« Reply #13 on: 09:35, Wednesday 28 Dec, 2011. »
We've had some issues with our server node (the physical machine that runs a group of virtual servers including ours) recently which looks to me as if it is either being caused by some other idiotic user or a bad hard drive.  My host denies both but I argued with them for a while and they suggested moving to a different node so we're doing that. 

Basically there will be some downtime next week but I don't know the exact details yet.  There won't be any changes to the site, it'll just disappear for a bit and then come back.
« Last Edit: 00:51, Monday 21 Jul, 2014. by Todd »

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
« Reply #14 on: 10:01, Wednesday 28 Dec, 2011. »
Like Nightcrawler.
Bamf!