Author Topic: Website Stuff & Other Horrible Posts  (Read 5256 times)

Offline Todd

Re: Website Stuff & Other Horrible Posts
« Reply #15 on: 15:01, Wednesday 22 Feb, 2012. »
If anyone caught the site offline over the last couple of days, that was me desperately trying to fix the ridiculous chain of problems that ended up corrupting the domain admin account (in simple terms you can read this as: a really fucking bad thing).  The only good news I can give you is that I fixed it now and there was no data loss.

Does that count as good news?  Let me tell you that it does after you spend four hours hacking back into your own server!

Offline Nick G

• Psy?
« Reply #16 on: 15:07, Wednesday 22 Feb, 2012. »
Was wondering what was going on... Good job on fixing the account, any idea what caused it?
~ Troubleshooter ~ Ghost of Irwin Stevens ~ Tremere Fire Mage ~ Brute/Dragon ~ Mandalorian Bounty Hunter ~ Demonic Demolitions Expert ~ Weather Mage ~ Krogan Battlemaster ~ Barabel Jedi Master ~ Unlucky Caveman ~ Human Sorceror ~ Bat-Flagellant ~ Tanith Sniper ~ Occult Vampire

Offline Todd

« Reply #17 on: 15:50, Wednesday 22 Feb, 2012. »
See big post here:
http://www.bottleortree.co.uk/index.php?/topic/3338-were-back/page__view__findpost__p__79385

Short version is that SQL crashed my server and the account password got fucked, beyond that I have no idea.
« Last Edit: 19:44, Wednesday 22 Feb, 2012. by Todd »

Offline splat.toad

« Reply #18 on: 16:22, Wednesday 22 Feb, 2012. »
i have no idea what all that means, but am highly grateful both for your technical know-how and that you run this forum for us. Thank you for all your effort!  :)
Nocker~Table-Riding Barbarian~Comedy Wraith~Pyro Secret Agent Granny~Liquid Blue Alien Robot~'Trustworthy' Gunslinger~Biker Genius~Dragon Fisher~Magician's Assistant~Doctor/Thief~Warrior Mouse~Intrepid/Naïve Egyptologist~Pilot Space Cat~Goblin~Demon~Maverick cop~Jedi Adept~Ships Captain~Not A Mage

Offline Todd

« Reply #19 on: 19:41, Wednesday 22 Feb, 2012. »
Grind pepper in your eyes and then try to remove it with a fork.  It would be a similar experience.

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
    • Sam's RedBubble Account
« Reply #20 on: 07:37, Friday 24 Feb, 2012. »
Oh dear. Thank you for fixing everything! :)
~ Nynia ~ Maggie ~ Amara ~ Rachel ~ Mizera ~ Sarah ~ Rynne ~ Varnas ~ Blue CLO ~ Xyx ~
~ "Joe" ~ Chaplain ~ Siânna ~ Hope ~ Syuzannah ~ Nareen ~ Hilde ~ Raethwyn ~ Gavin ~
~ Lahni ~ Grayson ~ Bites-The-Breeze ~ Taylor ~ Anastasia ~ Jakari ~ Lu'riel ~ Akhet ~ Richie ~

Offline Anrawel

• That's me making a rare visit to Earth
« Reply #21 on: 17:45, Sunday 11 Mar, 2012. »
I'm glad you managed to get it sorted out !

Offline Todd

« Reply #22 on: 01:03, Thursday 12 Jul, 2012. »
There was some downtime today that people may have noticed, some other user was shitting all over our node or something, my host says it is fixed now.

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
« Reply #23 on: 19:06, Thursday 12 Jul, 2012. »
Yay!
~ Nynia ~ Maggie ~ Amara ~ Rachel ~ Mizera ~ Sarah ~ Rynne ~ Varnas ~ Blue CLO ~ Xyx ~
~ "Joe" ~ Chaplain ~ Siânna ~ Hope ~ Syuzannah ~ Nareen ~ Hilde ~ Raethwyn ~ Gavin ~
~ Lahni ~ Grayson ~ Bites-The-Breeze ~ Taylor ~ Anastasia ~ Jakari ~ Lu'riel ~ Akhet ~ Richie ~

Offline Todd

« Reply #24 on: 10:23, Friday 05 Oct, 2012. »
There may be some downtime on Sunday.

Offline Todd

« Reply #25 on: 18:08, Sunday 07 Oct, 2012. »
We're back!  We're now on an entirely new server, though that should be completely transparent from your perspective.

If you have any problems please post here and I'll check it out.

Offline Cheeky_Pixie

• Geek in training
« Reply #26 on: 13:39, Thursday 14 Feb, 2013. »
Did something just go kablooie this week...?
:O
~Adventurer~Cyber-punk Spirit Mage~Teenage Pooka~Archaeologist~Angel~Vampire~
Hollywood Demon~Wraith~Steampunk Inventoress/Adventurer~Classical Spy~
Research Poison Alchemist, Viscomtesse Elodie LeChief~Jedi Nautolan~Companion~
Melisande, Queen of Lanet~Prosperina the Illusionist~Lord/Lady Serin~

Offline Todd

« Reply #27 on: 15:28, Thursday 14 Feb, 2013. »
Short answer: Yes!

Long answer: On Monday my host decided to retire my DNS servers without telling me.  DNS is like the address book for the internet, it lets your computer turn the domain name which you type in (or click on or bookmark or whatever) into the actual IP address of the computer which hosts that site.  With no DNS servers, nobody knows where our site is and nobody can access it.  This took a bit of time to affect everyone because DNS entries are cached.  At some point your cache entry expires, your computer goes looking for an up to date address, and the internet tells it that it doesn't live anywhere.

My host gave me new DNS servers but didn't provide any way for me to configure them making them effectively useless.  And for some reason my host has been ignoring me ever since.  Even though they have not been the best hosts overall, this is genuinely odd and I'm never had them just straight up ignore me.  I've asked for a refund today, got no reply to that either, and will be putting in a refund/mediation request through Google (it was paid through Google Checkout) later today.

In the mean time I am taking full site backups a few times a day just in case they decide to do something stupid.  I have reverted us to the free DNS service that comes with our domains (there's a reason I keep my domains and my hosting with different companies), it's not perfect but it works just to get the sites online.  There was a weird bug whereby some of the image files were pointed at a slightly different domain which I fixed a few minutes ago.  Everything should now we working right here.

Through all of this the site was actually online, that's actually the frustrating part of it.  DNS is such a trivial thing but it's fundamental to accessing sites.  It's like if your postman decided to throw all your post away.  You're still there, waiting for your letters, but nobody can get through!

There is a good chance we'll end up moving hosts (yes, another server move) very soon.  That will result in a bit of downtime (techie chat: one of the problems with the free DNS we're on now is that it doesn't let me set the TTL, meaning I can't easily prepare the domains for a transfer and we basically just have to wait it out until the new address propagates, I believe they use 24 hours so it shouldn't take more than 48 before everyone can see it again, unless you use non-standard DNS caching times as some corporate networks do).

On the plus side, the new place should actually work out a little cheaper and I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Perhaps soon we will finally be able to settle in one place without all these disasters and server moves.

For updates on any downtime or if you need to contact the best way is through G+ (and give me a shout so I can add you to the circle that gets these posts).

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
« Reply #28 on: 23:40, Thursday 14 Feb, 2013. »
Thanks again. =)

Offline splat.toad

« Reply #29 on: 10:55, Friday 15 Feb, 2013. »
Thank you!!!   :)
Nocker~Table-Riding Barbarian~Comedy Wraith~Pyro Secret Agent Granny~Liquid Blue Alien Robot~'Trustworthy' Gunslinger~Biker Genius~Dragon Fisher~Magician's Assistant~Doctor/Thief~Warrior Mouse~Intrepid/Naïve Egyptologist~Pilot Space Cat~Goblin~Demon~Maverick cop~Jedi Adept~Ships Captain~Not A Mage