Author Topic: Autumn 2012 - Grand Kit Swap/Bring and Buy?  (Read 3627 times)

Offline sam_i

• Hindsight is always 2D20...
Autumn 2012 - Grand Kit Swap/Bring and Buy?
« on: 16:51, Wednesday 11 Apr, 2012. »
So, with Maelstrom winding up this September, I have found myself looking a giant pile of kit that i don't have much need for; and a mental list of kit that i will probably need for Empire.  As i can't be the only one in this position, i thought how about about we organise a grand swapping session when this summer season ends?  Even those of you that don't play maelstrom, if you larp regularly i am sure must end up with random bits for characters that are dead or some how never got played....

What I thought was we all bring along bits we want to get rid of, make a giant pile, then grab bits we do want, and anything no-one wants and the owner doesn't want back can go to Ben for Age of Seekers generic kit for the kids maybe?

Obviously more expensive things like weapons or armour people might want money back for so i think still bring those bits but keep them seperate?  Then no-one has to feel they were made to donate more than they gained, and if no-one can afford them at a price the owner is happy with they can just take them away again to be ebayed or whatever.

Will organise a date and venue nearer the time but thought i'd put this up to judge intial enthusaism and remind myself if i forget.

Non-larpers obviously welcome, everyone needs fancy dress outfits after all!

Offline BenC

• GM
  • Muad'Dib we call 'instructor-of-boys' (also girls)
Re: Autumn 2012 - Grand Kit Swap/Bring and Buy?
« Reply #1 on: 11:28, Thursday 12 Apr, 2012. »
Sounds like a brilliant idea - if you like we could use Verulam as a venue to spread stuff out more - and I can tell the kids to come and bring money!
"If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts; and if any would write in a noble style, let him first possess a noble soul."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832)

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
    • Sam's RedBubble Account
« Reply #2 on: 19:03, Friday 13 Apr, 2012. »
Sounds like a plan!
~ Nynia ~ Maggie ~ Amara ~ Rachel ~ Mizera ~ Sarah ~ Rynne ~ Varnas ~ Blue CLO ~ Xyx ~
~ "Joe" ~ Chaplain ~ Siânna ~ Hope ~ Syuzannah ~ Nareen ~ Hilde ~ Raethwyn ~ Gavin ~
~ Lahni ~ Grayson ~ Bites-The-Breeze ~ Taylor ~ Anastasia ~ Jakari ~ Lu'riel ~ Akhet ~ Richie ~

Offline sam_i

« Reply #3 on: 10:04, Monday 16 Apr, 2012. »
I think it might be more useful if Verulum was the second phase, or if we grown ups got there prior to the boys, as the vast majority of my kit is girl-orientated so would prefer the other ladies to get a look through it first (as they might use it as originally intended and some of it's quite nice) before the boys get to massacre it....  As something tells me not many of them want fitted dresses and they'll likely get hacked up into "robes"..

Offline Mazzam

• Blip blip doobee dee....
« Reply #4 on: 10:23, Monday 16 Apr, 2012. »
Oh yes, i think ben was suggesting that larp adults got a different start time to the others and the boys came in later, but it means maybe people like Joe and Tom other larpers from 'outside' could come along too maybe. It also gives the parents (and kids) a chance later to see people in kit perhaps so they know what sort of things they should be aiming for... I know you were thinking a small swap, but I see a potential for making it into a good larp/rp promoting event. Maybe some table top short game running in a corner. Sorry, I just remember my dad taking me to Wargames fairs and seeing people dressed up and doing mini table top games. Can charge entry to raise money for AoS too... Sorry, I suddenly have big plans :P Boredom will do that to you... aaaand now comes the cake and tea stand idea *face palm* ... as if I won't have enough on my plate at home already. you've created a MONSTER!!!!

Offline Epic_Rael

• TF2, because Hatters gonna Hat
« Reply #5 on: 09:54, Tuesday 03 Jul, 2012. »
Let me know if/when this goes ahead. I don't really have much to add to the pile myself, but I prefer being about to see stuff before buying, which is difficult in this world of online shops.

I'm also liking the mazzam, though mainly just the idea of cake :P

Offline Cheeky_Pixie

• Geek in training
« Reply #6 on: 17:31, Wednesday 04 Jul, 2012. »
And why should there not also be cake...
Hullo?  Mill-En!  ;) 

Seriously though - very good plan - I like...
REALLY should have kept up to date with forum stuff earlier... Ah well, that big dress-up event at the end of April kinda took my mind off it a little...
LOL
~Adventurer~Cyber-punk Spirit Mage~Teenage Pooka~Archaeologist~Angel~Vampire~
Hollywood Demon~Wraith~Steampunk Inventoress/Adventurer~Classical Spy~
Research Poison Alchemist, Viscomtesse Elodie LeChief~Jedi Nautolan~Companion~
Melisande, Queen of Lanet~Prosperina the Illusionist~Lord/Lady Serin~

Offline BenC

• GM
« Reply #7 on: 17:43, Wednesday 04 Jul, 2012. »
Do we want to do this? I need to book the hall if we do...
"If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts; and if any would write in a noble style, let him first possess a noble soul."

Spartan264

« Reply #8 on: 18:10, Wednesday 04 Jul, 2012. »
Well the last Maelstrom is the week before Seekers, so it might be best to have it just after the event? That way there are more likely to be people with spare kit.

Offline BenC

• GM
« Reply #9 on: 22:12, Thursday 05 Jul, 2012. »
might be best to do it last weekend in September then - we'll get more people and enthusiasm will still be running high...

Offline BenC

• GM
« Reply #10 on: 22:29, Friday 20 Jul, 2012. »
This came up again last night. I can definately get the hall one saturday and we might be able to get a few traders potentially interested as well as long as there's interest. I'm a bit scared of going ahead if there ends up being me and four other people in the hall at school... Would 'Stromers be interested in a kit sale/trade/auction type thing? We could potentially throw in a raffle or something as well and if I can charge a small amount for admittance, it can go towards getting my kids roleplaying better...

Offline sam_i

« Reply #11 on: 18:36, Monday 30 Jul, 2012. »
My original idea was not so grand as all this i admit, i kind of envisiged kit piles on living room floor, so though i am still interested in coming if you do through something this large i'm not really going to volunteer myself for anything beyond attendance and bringing some stuff as i *know* i'm really short of time atm.

In maelstrom experience of trying to get traders to come to player events and the suchlike you normally have to guarantee them a higher attendance rate than player events have, somewhere in the region of 100 in my experience, but if they are local and the pitch is free/very cheap you might persuade more.