Author Topic: A reading list.  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Andy McD

• On a good day a gust of wind can confuse me
A reading list.
« on: 22:07, Wednesday 11 Jan, 2012. »
Would people be willing to recommend books for others to read. No need to write a huge review just a few lines to get people hooked.

Theres a line you dont cross. I cross it at warp speed.

Offline BenC

• Muad'Dib we call 'instructor-of-boys' (also girls)
Re: A reading list.
« Reply #1 on: 11:35, Saturday 14 Jan, 2012. »
Anything by Brandon Sanderson (including his bits of the Wheel of Time - they're better than Robert Jordans!).
"If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts; and if any would write in a noble style, let him first possess a noble soul."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832)

Offline Paul

• aka Nigel
« Reply #2 on: 13:48, Saturday 14 Jan, 2012. »
Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained (Peter F Hamilton) - Intersolar Commonwealth of planets linked by Wormholes. Construction of the first faster-than-light spacecraft to investigate an event which has caused a solar system to vanish. Conspiracies, terrorists and war.

Song of Ice and Fire (George R R Martin) - Medieval fantasy based around civil war in the continent of Westeros. Politics, knights, murder, feuding noble families and the war for the Iron Throne.

The First Law Trilogy (Joe Abercrombie): Low magic fantasy series. Puts some interesting twists on the classic fantasy tropes. One of the main characters is a disabled torturer, enough said.

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
    • Sam's RedBubble Account
« Reply #3 on: 09:56, Sunday 15 Jan, 2012. »
Ken Follet - deep plots with engaging characters!
The Pillars of the Earth - Building a cathedral in medieval times...but so much more.
World Without End - Sequel of sorts to above book- same town, lifetimes later.
A Place Called Freedom - A Scottish miner believes there must be more to life...and goes to look for it.
~ Nynia ~ Maggie ~ Amara ~ Rachel ~ Mizera ~ Sarah ~ Rynne ~ Varnas ~ Blue CLO ~ Xyx ~
~ "Joe" ~ Chaplain ~ Siânna ~ Hope ~ Syuzannah ~ Nareen ~ Hilde ~ Raethwyn ~ Gavin ~
~ Lahni ~ Grayson ~ Bites-The-Breeze ~ Taylor ~ Anastasia ~ Jakari ~ Lu'riel ~ Akhet ~ Richie ~

Spartan264

« Reply #4 on: 13:20, Monday 16 Jan, 2012. »
The Forever War series by Joe Haldeman. F War- About interstellar war and the psychological effects of time dilation and space travel. F Free - Sequel to War. F Peace is about remote-controlled robots that screw up the emotions of the soldiers.

Old Man's War by John Scalzi - In the future, retirees can join the army and get new bodies to fight interstellar wars against many aliens. For some the transfer procedure doesn't work...

Starship Troopers by John Heinlein - Classic hard military sci-fi. More political and philosophical than the movies.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - Bright children get taken to 'battle school' to learn how to fight in zero G. Ongoing war against the bugs.

The science of Discworld by Terry Pratchett - Good basic scientific knowledge presented in parallel with a Discworld wizards story.

Death's Head by David Gunn - Bleak future military sci-fi. A half-breed human leads a squad in various conflicts in space. Quite violent.

Spiral/Quake/Warhead by Andy Remic - Military Sci-fi - A solider fighting in the war against an army of necroti man-bug hybrids.

I have most of these so if you are interested let me know.

Offline splat.toad

« Reply #5 on: 15:01, Monday 16 Jan, 2012. »
got Rivers of London (ben aaronovich) for christmas - about policing the supernatural community of london. kinda pulp, slight overtones of the dresden files, if anyone's ever read those, good fun reading.
Nocker~Table-Riding Barbarian~Comedy Wraith~Pyro Secret Agent Granny~Liquid Blue Alien Robot~'Trustworthy' Gunslinger~Biker Genius~Dragon Fisher~Magician's Assistant~Doctor/Thief~Warrior Mouse~Intrepid/Naïve Egyptologist~Pilot Space Cat~Goblin~Demon~Maverick cop~Jedi Adept~Ships Captain~Not A Mage

Offline Rodge

• Huzzah!
« Reply #6 on: 23:48, Tuesday 17 Jan, 2012. »
If you fancy something factual but interesting I recommend Empire by Niall Ferguson. Or if you fancy fiction Shogun by James Clavell is a good read.
Hrotgar Wolfbane ~ Baron Magnus ~ 'Fonz' - Murdoch ~ Nix'Un ~ Globas Ferru ~ Colonel the Lord Spencer ~ Kim Jong Ping-Pong ~ Riker ~ Saul ~ Mike Sorenson ~ Svard ~ Jeff

Offline Andy McD

• On a good day a gust of wind can confuse me
« Reply #7 on: 13:46, Friday 20 Jan, 2012. »
The Atrocity Archives series by Charles Stross. John recommended these three books to me. Bob works in the intelligence agency that covers the mythos world and h.r.

Space Captain Smith, God Emperor of Didcot and Wrath of the Lemming Men by Toby Frost. Silly sci fi romp worth a read.

Theres a line you dont cross. I cross it at warp speed.

Offline Anrawel

• That's me making a rare visit to Earth
« Reply #8 on: 10:22, Monday 30 Jan, 2012. »
I second James Clavell and Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth.

My pick depends on your current attention span and what you're into...

For flu days, Footrot Flats comics (Garfield or Wizard of Id if you can't get FF),
Fantastic humour Guards! Guards!
Sci-fi/fantasy with Jedi-like powers The Rowan (and sequels),
Dragons & fantasy Anne McCaffrey's Pern,
Historical mystery with witchcraft & romance the Spell of Sarnia or (because Mrs Reynolds is about 70 years out of print) Brother Cadfael or Crowner John,
Modern mystery with quirky, funny people Jeffrey Archer's books, especially a Quiver full of Arrows.
War, action and good old grit, the Sharpe series,
Period empire, suspense and strong characters on a sweeping tapestry James Michener (if you have a few days).
Non-fiction: All the Pain that Money can Buy - biography of Cristina Onassis, world's richest woman.
« Last Edit: 10:27, Monday 30 Jan, 2012. by Anrawel »

Offline Todd

« Reply #9 on: 15:29, Monday 13 Feb, 2012. »
I guess I would throw 1984 and Brave New World on the list.

For something complete different:

Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit
A book about a girl growing up in a religious family and how she discovers herself, her sexuality, and who her real friends are.  It's the only "arty" book I have ever really enjoyed.  It's funny, touching, and has a wonderful sense of innocence and imagination to it.
« Last Edit: 15:31, Monday 13 Feb, 2012. by Todd »

Offline splat.toad

« Reply #10 on: 22:27, Tuesday 14 Feb, 2012. »
Anything by Michael Marshall Smith is good - only forward is particularly good
Nocker~Table-Riding Barbarian~Comedy Wraith~Pyro Secret Agent Granny~Liquid Blue Alien Robot~'Trustworthy' Gunslinger~Biker Genius~Dragon Fisher~Magician's Assistant~Doctor/Thief~Warrior Mouse~Intrepid/Naïve Egyptologist~Pilot Space Cat~Goblin~Demon~Maverick cop~Jedi Adept~Ships Captain~Not A Mage

Offline Fushicho

• What we have here is a failiure to communicate!
« Reply #11 on: 13:30, Monday 08 Apr, 2013. »
Hi. I'm new to the forum. Hoping tonight will be my first attendance at The White Swan.

But i saw this reading list suggestions and had to say LEE CHILD. There are about 15 Jack Reacher novels - Start with any of them and you'll be hooked. Basically they are about a huge guy who used to be a military policeman but now just drifts around America kicking-A**e of the bad guys. He takes no prisoners and show no mercy but he's on the side of justice. A really great character.

On a different Tack Ben Elton books are amusing and thought provoking always with a strong theme like - Big Brother, Pollution, X-Factor, The current financial mess, WWI, Facebook and a few others
Fushi Cho

Offline Paul

• aka Nigel
« Reply #12 on: 08:13, Saturday 18 May, 2013. »
I have to recommend:

"Wool" by Hugh Howey. This is a brilliant post-apocalyptic book about the remnants of humanity living in an underground silo. There a no mutants, zombies, aliens or anything (which makes the book so much better in my opinion). This is just a story about the characters and how they deal with their situation. (Just a note that if you are getting this one make sure to get the omnibus. Wool was originally written as a novella and then extended into a full novel. The omnibus is that full novel)

"The Milkweed Triptych" by Ian Tregellis. This is a series of three books (Bitter Seeds, The Coldest War and Necessary Evil). They are really well written supernatural alternate history novels with nazi superscience against British warlocks. I have read through the first two books in the past four days and I am already well into the final book. Highly recommended.