Author Topic: The Sabbat Goes Anarch  (Read 3439 times)

Offline IzzyA

• GM
The Sabbat Goes Anarch
« on: 08:06, Tuesday 19 Feb, 2013. »
Last session was a bit of a mind-bender. Long and short of it, the packs loyalties were split down the middle - half the pack has met final death and the remaining members of the pack have gone anarch. In short, this is because mistakes had compromised the Sabbats position (and the packs further survival) and the key instigator saw some appeal in going anarch. The campaign will be going anarch, with new characters being young members of the Perth community. Feel free to contact me and draw up a concept, and we'll finalize next session. There will be one or two limitations, but hopefully this won't be a problem.

I realise that last session was full of surprises, and losing characters is never fun. Hopefully we can restart the game promptly and you can sink your teeth into some plot (haha. See what I did there?  :D).

I know that people took issue with the use of obtenebration by the Reverend Thompson, and made various suggestions for changing the system. Though obtenebration is widely considered one of the most powerful disciplines, I will explain why I am ok with how it was used and won't be changing it.

1] The Reverend Thompson is, in terms of disciplines, a one-trick pony. Dan built his character with level three obtenebration, which is what he used in the warehouse, and assigned his stats during character gen so that he had a dice pool of seven to roll on every evocation. Thus, he is an obtenebration bad-ass.

2] "Why has the vinculum done nothing?" His vinculum ratings were fairly low to some characters involved so he would have little problem resisting, but he liberally spent willpower to succeed in resisting where it was higher, to ensure that it did not jeopardise his actions.

3] "Surely he can just summon 30 tentacles and no one can beat him" There is no upper-limit on the number of tentacles a person can summon. Only the blood they have to spend. There needs to be shadow for them to spawn from, and each evocation required a difficulty seven roll and a blood point. Each success summons a single tentacle. These tentacles have the stats of the obtenebration rating and act independently, and require no further effort to maintain. They have four health levels. Sounds pretty good, but don't you dare botch whilst using it. Do that, and the tentacles are liable to attack the summoner. Reverend Thompson's high dice pool helped him summon a good number of tentacles for his blood, but still spent most of his blood pool.

4] The advantage of position. The Reverend set up the ambush to advantage him, and executed it well. He did this because each summoning of tentacles takes a full action, thus he was completely prone to attack. If he had failed to secure his packmates, they had a better chance of fighting back, and aside from obtenebration he is not a combat character. Without the advantage of position, he is not so formidable. Again, he spent willpower to better his chances (and avoid the deadly botch).

I checked the newest edition of V:TM (V20) to see if any alterations had been made for obtenebration, as they did a fair bit of work addressing some balance issues. Whilst some powers were downgraded (i.e. potence), obtenebration they actually made a tiny bit better. I am reluctant to make changes to any of the disciplines, as in past experience trying to get the balance just right is near impossible and straying far from the main rules means players aren't getting what they paid for.

I felt it was best to clear the air there. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Those of you that are designing new characters, feel free to talk to me about it between now and next Monday.

Offline Dan A

• Slightly well aged blood in town!
Re: The Sabbat Goes Anarch
« Reply #1 on: 08:25, Tuesday 19 Feb, 2013. »
Just to clarify the Rev Thompsons standpoint on what occurred. He is rather attached to his humanity, he was a member of the sabbat espousing the virtue of freedom of individuals and not the 'dominate the cattle' aspect.
This he did not see in the pack he was in, he saw monsters who cared not for freedom, just for another form of control, as such he had to act. In this city he saw potential for true freedom of individuals and as such threw his lot in with the anarchs taking those he deemed as humane and non monstrous with him. He did this as a survival option as well, with a number of accidents that had lead to the packs cover being very severely weakened, he felt his hand had been forced, his options were to join the anarchs or die.
If it was not alluded to repeatedly that he would be a great sabbat member if not for that pesky humanity, and if the pack had a stronger strategy and not factitious he may have stayed. However this was not the case, he saw a chance for freedom and survival and took it.
Quarian Fake geth expert - Quarian geth expert - Salamander Chaplain -

Offline Samantha

• Scribbler
    • Sam's RedBubble Account
« Reply #2 on: 09:47, Tuesday 19 Feb, 2013. »
What happens regarding the vinculum and the remaining pack members now?
~ Nynia ~ Maggie ~ Amara ~ Rachel ~ Mizera ~ Sarah ~ Rynne ~ Varnas ~ Blue CLO ~ Xyx ~
~ "Joe" ~ Chaplain ~ Siânna ~ Hope ~ Syuzannah ~ Nareen ~ Hilde ~ Raethwyn ~ Gavin ~
~ Lahni ~ Grayson ~ Bites-The-Breeze ~ Taylor ~ Anastasia ~ Jakari ~ Lu'riel ~ Akhet ~ Richie ~

Offline Dan A

• Slightly well aged blood in town!
« Reply #3 on: 10:10, Tuesday 19 Feb, 2013. »
the vinculum rating remains as it is indefinitely, unless someone has some colossal mojo to break it.
Quarian Fake geth expert - Quarian geth expert - Salamander Chaplain -

Offline IzzyA

• GM
« Reply #4 on: 12:57, Thursday 21 Feb, 2013. »
Yeah, vinculums are permanent, by and large. Luckily for the traitors (but not for the loyalists of the pack), the traitors generally had low ratings to the loyalists and higher to one another, so they had little difficulty in rebelling as a group. If the vinculums had been higher, this may not have been the case, as they would have urged the characters to comply with one another.