Author Topic: Haydn Lisks Journal  (Read 4525 times)

Offline IzzyA

Haydn Lisks Journal
« on: 21:42, Wednesday 24 Apr, 2013. »
I finally have a functional crew for The Akimbo. Some people I can hopefully rely on when things get tight. Though I am saving my optimism about this for the moment. They all seem a good-spirited bunch - flawed, like anyone would be, but nonetheless enterprising and fun. Zachary and I share the same sentiments about the Emperor and the Change Cage cities, both being Neovictorians. He appears to respect my authority, and he has a fixation with firearms that I imagine will make him a handy man to have on side when we go raiding. He does, however, seem to have a bit of a drink problem. He is currently in an alcohol-induced stupor in his cabin. I plan to have Fisto hose him down in the morning. That'll be a laugh. Fisto is an automaton who shows some wonderful individuality, though still has a great fondness for his old trade as a doll. His name nicely summarises his specialty, and he commands a good price for his services. Though he has taken a shine to Zachary, which has led to my heavy-hitter determined to have a stronger door fitted to his cabin. Phillius is a skyfolk, a tinkerer and seems to have a sharp mind. He is a welcome relief - he can pilot the airship, so we are more flexible in our travel arrangements. I am not sure if he is going to be too smart for his own good, mind. But I'll get on to that later.

We arrived at the free city of Soho, docked and prepared for business. We were directed to the brothel "Swinging Sal's" to look for work, and we greeted by a large board of potential jobs. Many were drafted by the city governors - not my thing, pandering to old white men who think they are superior to me through dint of birth. Another was from the proprietor of the brothel - Swinging Sal herself. A china-faced automaton. An older model, if I remember correctly. She giggled at the name of our ship (Goodness knows why. I think The Akimbo is a perfectly suitable name for a pirate ship masquerading as a bordello). But I liked her. It isn't easy for an automaton to find a place in this world outside of servitude, and she appears to command respect.

But on with the job. Delivering medical supplies to a Neobedouin camp at a place called St Verulamium, and bringing back cargo in exchange. A total of 150 helios, as well as a crate of vintage rum that could command a huge price on Neovictorian black markets. I have promised a bottle to Zachary, though I doubt he will savor such a rare delicacy! No matter though, I'm sure he'll appreciate it either way. It was whilst speaking with Sal that Phillius spoke up, declaring all detail of our schtick to Sal. I had planned to be reserved about this. Sometimes people don't take kindly to competition. I warned him to be more discreet next time, though he gave me a playful smirk when she responded positively. No harm done, but still, I'd best keep an eye on him.

The journey to St Verulamium was simple and the weather fine. Zachary had to be pried away from the bar, and the following morning he pulled off some nifty acrobatics to avoid the advances of Fisto. Poor Fisto seems to still be tied to his programming. Though, saying that, his decision to pursue Zachary is indicative of his own personal desires. I will discourage him from hassling poor Zachary, but will foster his independence.

I am not sure what to make of the Neobedouins of of St Verulamium. They were welcoming, but they seem to have a negative attitude towards automatons. Despite this, they welcomed all of us (including Fisto) into the camp for the evenings festivities. Our contact won't be arriving until tomorrow, so we decided to have some fun. Fisto, Phillius and myself danced ourselves close to exhaustion amongst the ruins of Old England. It's still strange - being on solid ground. I find it novel. Zachary did not join us, but partook in vast quantities of freely-given alcohol. I was too immersed in my dancing to notice the crowd of Neobedouins around him, encouraging him to achieve dizzying heights of intoxication. I only noticed when I saw him holding a huge jug of liquor to his lips, leaning backwards, and falling onto his arse. The jug smacked him on the head and he fell into an alcoholic slumber. Even the cheering of the Neobedouins could not rouse the silly bastard. Anyways, we laughed as we scooped him up between us and dumped him in his room. I think Fisto is looking forward to hosing him down tomorrow.

It is rather late now, and I had best rest up ready to meet the contact tomorrow. Needless to say, our journey so far has been colourful and entertaining. I am not such Zachary will agree once the morning arrives.

Offline Dan A

• Slightly well aged blood in town!
Re: Haydn Lisks Journal
« Reply #1 on: 21:55, Wednesday 24 Apr, 2013. »
Ahh Zachary, he is so going to get fisto'd in the morning.
Quarian Fake geth expert - Quarian geth expert - Salamander Chaplain -

Offline IzzyA

« Reply #2 on: 21:11, Thursday 16 May, 2013. »
The original plan to have Fisto douse Zachary in water that morning were stalled. Fisto had malfunctioned... Luckily a bucket of water awoke Zachary and cured him of his hangover. Huh. It seems that there is sometimes truth buried deep in old cliches. I had not wanted to do the trade without him - he is my most capable fighter. I don't think he was pleased that Phillius threw a second bucket over him for good measure.

The trade in St Verulamium went without a hitch, and I granted the crew leave for the remainder of the day. Phillius insisted we try some local food. I was somewhat perplexed when he explained the curry was 'hot', meaning a flavour rather than a temperature, but it was definitely an interesting meal. I approached it with caution. Phillius also made contact with a pepper-salesman, who assured us that peppers were worth a lot of money on the Skyloft cities. We bought a healthy volume before making our way back to Soho. Phillius spent the trip trying to bring Fisto back online.

Soho greeted us, and Sal was glad to get her goods. We got paid, and I gave Zachary a bottle of the vintage rum. He swears he will be saving it, and I must say, I am impressed that he has not touched a drop (as of yet). She bought some peppers from us, and directed us to a Councillor called Colin who would be interested in purchasing the rest. She arranged a meeting, and, having received a healthy payment, we wandered the stalls and shops of the Skyloft city. Zachary spotted a shotgun from ancient times, but it was outside of our price range. Upon leaving, the security guard muttered under his breath that we were wasters. I heard, and squared up to him. Well, until he stood up. I decided to back down, and became determined that we would buy the shotgun before leaving Soho.

We met up with Colin, on one of the higher levels of the Skyloft. He struck me as a typical prat born with a silver spoon rammed up his ass. He wouldn't even shake my hand. I was eager to have the sale finalised, and was a bit ruffled when he informed us that we were undercharging him for the peppers. He then tried to enlist us to do regular runs, picking up peppers for him. I resisted. I didn't want to be tied into a contract with a man who would not even shake my hand. We agreed to do another pick up for him because, well, the money was good. But not an ongoing contract. Nooo.

At least the money meant Zachary could afford the weapon. I gave him 13 helios (just to stick it to that brick shithouse of a guard) and Phillius loaned him 10. I was only further riled up when, upon leaving, I heard the guard and shop keeper say something that implied we had been manipulated into a sale that was not the value for money we thought it was. But past is past.

We had to be quick, so we left Soho almost immediately. I am currently piloting through fine weather, hence the opportunity to write in this journal. I will return to Swinging Sal's once we get back and find some more work for us. Something a little less legitimate, methinks.

Offline IzzyA

« Reply #3 on: 21:33, Thursday 16 May, 2013. »
Well-ity, well-ity. Things may be about to get especially interesting.

We followed the co-ordinates to our friendly pepper-grower, and he received us warmly. We bought the goods, and made chat. He then took me to one side, saying a few things that made me thoroughly re-evaluate my perception of the current situation. He knew something about me that I thought was dead and buried, though assures me it is not common knowledge. I would rather it stays that way. He also added that our contact, Colin, was not what he seemed. He was likely scouting me out as talent, to partake in action against the Neovictorians. He is particularly notorious for co-ordinating hits on the canal barges that the Neovictorians use to shuffle goods between their filthy Change Cage cities. Apparently, one of their favoured cargoes are people. I would be very happy to get involved in those sorts of ventures, and Zachary is eager too. It also turns out that Colin has some issues with human contact due to losing his lover in such a raid. I am willing to give him another chance.

We returned to an airship in panic. There had been a fire, but it was contained. Phillius was being sick on deck, shaken by what had occured. Fisto is no more.... But he was an old model, and though I grieve, I take some comfort from knowing he got his freedom before his malfunctioning.

That's probably why I got quite so drunk last night.

We returned to Soho and dropped the goods off to Colin. All of us satisfied and with some more helios in our pockets, we had a few drinks at Swinging Sal's. She bought two rounds, and I feel under the allure of the alcohol. Twice they had to try to return me to my senses with coffee, so we could discuss business... I can't remember if we got around to discussing anything sensible. Zachary seemed caught between amusement and embarrassment. It was made him reflect a little on his own fondness of the liquor. I don't remember ever being that drunk. Everything seems funny, and I needed to be carried back to the airship. I recall 'stealing Zachary's nose'... Urg.

I'd best freshen up and ready to meet my crew. Hopefully I can reclaim a scrap of dignity.

Offline IzzyA

« Reply #4 on: 20:03, Saturday 25 May, 2013. »
Wish I hadn't fallen asleep after finishing that last entry. The crew decided to maintain the precedent for dousing hungover members with water. We all had a laugh *har har har* and I demanded some breakfast. Whilst Phillius was working on a device to peel potatoes, we had a discussion about the nature of our schtick. The crew were keen to move away from the Bordello theme, and Phillius, Zachary and I were happy with a change that made everyone comfortable. We are now renovating for a restaurant and performance area, catering to exotic tastes so as to not come into direct competition with other eateries. The crew are happy, so I am happy.

They were a little less happy with what happened next. Phillius, Zachary and I went to meet with Colin, and he offered a business proposition. He was looking for people to intercept an Empire barge full of people from the change cage cities. If we succeeded, there would be further work we could get involved in. Phillius was concerned, because it was 'a charity'. I understand, given that the only reward would be the esteem granted by people in Soho. Nonetheless, we're doing it. It's a worthwhile cause, I am not the sort to settle for simply shipping produce from A to B. Too boring, soulless, meaningless - I acquired The Akimbo to do good (On that note, The Akimbo may no longer be a suitable name for our vessel...). We will be intercepting the barges at York, as it was suggested as a good strategic point.

Some of the crew were happy with the prospect of violence against the Empire, particularly the ex-Neovictorians, but the Neobedoiuns and Skyfolk were less pleased. Five went AWOL overnight. Many of those who remained were not in good spirits. We left Soho the following morning. I had read somewhere that there used to be a place called Scarborough near York, and it has a song about it I know called Scarborough Fair. I began singing it, and soon many of the ship were involved in the sing-song. It was entertaining, and I hope it lifted morale a little.

Offline Dan A

« Reply #5 on: 09:46, Sunday 26 May, 2013. »
A note from Phillius:
Y'allright boss, just a note, we have been spotting some empire emplacements knocking about, better keep a close eye out because they seem heavily armed and we don't want the bastards to know we are floating above them...

Offline IzzyA

« Reply #6 on: 11:36, Sunday 26 May, 2013. »
Oh s$%t, thanks for the heads up. I think it's best you be our look-out now - I don't know how Zachary failed to spot it!

Offline Dan A

« Reply #7 on: 18:51, Tuesday 28 May, 2013. »
He may well have been drunk again.